[Box-Admins] How does Jenkins start?

Ken Causey ken at kencausey.com
Sun Feb 9 18:57:23 UTC 2014

I'm not aware of any easy way to answer this without some prior
knowledge.  But here is how I'm finding the answer:

So first of all I know we like to use DJB's daemontools sometimes which
provides a way to start and maintain services.  If jenkins is started
via daemontools then there will be a supervise process running with an
argument probably called jenkins or the like which names a
directory/link to directory under the daemontools service directory
which is commonly found under /service/.

kencausey at box3-squeak:~$ ls -l /service/
total 0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 14 Nov 14 03:23 ssdotcom -> /home/ssdotcom
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 12 Jan  1  2013 tinydns -> /etc/tinydns

Neither of these seem relevant, so daemontools is not used.

The next lower level to check is in /etc/init.d/

kencausey at box3-squeak:~$ ls -l /etc/init.d/
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root  5867 Jun 25  2012 jenkins

So the basic answer is that this program/script is run by the init
system to start jenkins.