[Box-Admins] Proposed week-long shutdown of Jenkins

Frank Shearar frank.shearar at gmail.com
Thu Feb 20 16:46:55 UTC 2014

On 20 February 2014 16:20, Chris Cunnington <websela at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Ken and I have been thinking of shutting down Jenkins (OK, it was my idea) for a week after 4.5 is released. The aim is to address hanging issues.
>
> A week is a long time from a technical point of view, but it allows people using it to take a break. Mainly we're thinking of Frank here.
> We're thinking of upgrades, disk usage, necessary and un-necessary builds (if there are any). Basically stopping that world for a week.
>
> What do you think, Frank? If you are opposed, then we'll chuck this idea.

If by "address hanging issues" you're talking about the Squeak
processes that get left orphaned after builds, they can only get
resolved by keeping things running and having someone sufficiently
knowledgeable (which, I suspect, is just me) digging into the problem.
Mainly it's a coordination problem between rake, Ruby shell commands,
and Squeak processes.

But I'm away on business all of next week and will have no chance to
do any work on CI, so from that perspective I'm fine with Jenkins
taking the week off. As long as we advertise it widely, and put up a
holding page explaining the story on build.squeak.org.

Thanks for consulting with me! (I hope my text conveys a lack of sarcasm here!)

frank