[squeak-dev] Re: [Box-Admins] Updating VMs and possible conflicts

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Wed Jul 2 19:13:50 UTC 2014

On 02.07.2014, at 21:03, Tobias Pape <Das.Linux at gmx.de> wrote:

> On 02.07.2014, at 21:02, Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de> wrote:
>

>> On 02.07.2014, at 18:59, Tobias Pape <Das.Linux at gmx.de> wrote:
>>
>>> Just that it is not lost,
>>>
>>> debian provides a facility to provide normally incompatible
>>> binaries. (eg, different versions, different vendors)
>>> they call it alternatives. (See /etc/alternatives)
>>>
>>> one example: jvm. or cc.
>>> on my server:
>>>
>>> $ ls -l /usr/bin/cc
>>> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 20 Mar 19 13:10 /usr/bin/cc -> /etc/alternatives/cc
>>>
>>> $ ls -l  /etc/alternatives/cc
>>> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 12 Mar 19 13:10 /etc/alternatives/cc -> /usr/bin/gcc
>>>
>>> and you can select:
>>> $ upate-alternatives --list cc
>>> /usr/bin/gcc
>>> /usr/bin/clang
>>>

>>> That way, we could provide different squeakvm's via this tool :)
>>
>> Nope. That would work only if all VMs could open all images.
>
> Why would that be a requirement?
>
> best
> 	-tobias

Because this mechanism is for choosing between alternatives, not for having multiple alternatives at the same time.

If you point /etc/alternatives/squeak to the interpreter, and write a script, it may be fine. If you repoint it later to cog, stuff breaks.

In contrast, gcc and clang are equivalent. They compile the same C files. If you don't care which one to use, you can just use "cc" in a script.

- Bert -