Apache downtime (was: Re: [Box-Admins] Alert: box2 runs out of disk)

Levente Uzonyi leves at elte.hu
Mon Jul 7 18:17:52 UTC 2014

The usual thing happened again: apache ran out of worker processes. The
php running mantis can consume all 200 workers somehow. I logged in today
and restarted php which resolved the problem.
Since there was no mail about the downtime - even though it was about
eight and a half hours long - I didn't bother writing a mail about this
"well known" error.
To prevent such downtimes again, I've set up a cron job which restarts the
phpmantis service every hour.

On Mon, 7 Jul 2014, Tobias Pape wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> while investigating https://github.com/dalehenrich/metacello-work/issues/255#issuecomment-48203135

The build was started during the downtime, so that's why it failed.
This is another reason why we should migrate the source.squeak.org
image next. :)

> I explored Box 2 and found that only
>
> 	4 GB

AFAIK this box has always had such low empty disk space, because there are
local backups of the local services (IIRC 5 snapshots each about 20 GB).

Levente