[Box-Admins] Moving services from box2 to box4

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Mon Jun 9 23:31:49 UTC 2014

We have an objective to get the squeak.org services moved from the old box2 infrastructure
to the new box4 (and box3) servers provided by the SFC. I raised this as a topic at the
Squeak board meeting last week, partly because the recent outage of source.squeak.org and
other services is a reminder that we need to make some progress on this front.

I made one point to the board, and I want to repeat it clearly here: I am talking about
moving our existing squeak.org services from one server to another. We need to
accomplish this independently of new development, such as Chris Cunnington's work on
a new SqueakMap server. So to use that as an example, we need to get the old SqueakMap
service moved from box2 to box4. Development of the new SqueakMap should proceed in
parallel with that, but it should not prevent us from moving the old SqueakMap service
at the earliest possible opportunity (Chris C, sorry to use this as an example, you
just happen to be the person doing active new development, so I am using this to illustrate
the point).

Chris Muller offered to move the old SqueakMap from box2 to box4, and I offered to
provide whatever interpreter VM may be need to run the old image. If no objections,
I will go ahead and install the same VM that is currently installed on box3, and
Chris Muller can follow up on the SqueakMap move.

Levente, does this make sense to you? And if so, is it reasonable for Chris Muller and
me to move a single service such as SqueakMap, as opposed to moving a larger number
of services all at once? I'm afraid I am not very knowledgeable about setting up Apache
configurations, so I do not really know how easily this can be done. But if we could get
the old SqueakMap service moved, it might be a good start.

And of course, once the old SqueakMap server is running on the newer box4 infrastructure,
it should be that much easier to update to Chris Cunnington's new service when the time
is right.

Thanks,