[Box-Admins] Intent to upgrade box4 VM from VMr.2776 to VM.r2987

Chris Cunnington brasspen at gmail.com
Fri Jun 27 20:14:51 UTC 2014

I intend to upgrade the VM on box4 VM.r2776 (Aug. 2013) to VM.r2987 (June 2014). The intention here is to refine the install/removal process. I just did this on my Debian Wheezy box, so it seems pretty straightforward.

Installing:

- get a Cog binary from mirandabanda.org
- use Ken's cogdeb.zip to make a deb
- install with dpkg  (i.e. dpkg -i cogvm_2776-1_i386.deb)
- execute "man squeak" to see if it's loaded

Removing:

- check the package name with dpkg-query -l
- see it's actually called "coglinux" as opposed to cogvm or squeak
- dpkg -r coglinux

So, as I said, I just did this on my server and is seemed to work OK. I plan to upgrade the VM from last year's model (2776) to this year's (2987). If there's anything people with more LInux experience could add to this process, I'd be happy to hear it.

Chris