[Box-Admins] Jenkins job outputs compressed to free space on box3

Levente Uzonyi leves at elte.hu
Tue Mar 4 01:49:27 UTC 2014

On Mon, 3 Mar 2014, Chris Muller wrote:

> Just FYI, bz2 reduces to a size that is about 60% of regular zip.

And 7z[1] with lzma is even better. 7zip[2] can also produce better
results for other compression methods, like gzip, zip or bz2. For example
the SqueakV41.sources file compressed
- using gzip: 6641435 bytes
- using gzip -9: 6616622 bytes
- 7z a -tgzip -mpass=15 -mfb=258 (this is 7zip creating a gzip archive
achiving the best possible compression ratio with this algorithm): 6305658 bytes
- bzip2: 5556572 bytes
- bzip2 -9: 5556572 bytes (yes, same as above)
- 7z a -tbzip2 -mx=9 (7z creating a bz2 archive with "ultra" compression): 5549301 bytes
- 7z a (this is 7z with lzma creating a .7z archive): 3966903 bytes
- 7z a -mx=9 (same as above with "ultra" compression): 3690018 bytes

Lzma has been around for 15 years, its compression ratio is clearly better
than other methods', so I see no reason why it shouldn't be used.

Levente

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7z
[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7-Zip

P.S.: 7zip can also create .zip and .bz2 archives which use lzma as
compression method, but that would just confuse people whose decompression
tool doesn't support lzma.