[Box-Admins] Re: [Webteam] squeak.org configured for nginx

Chris Cunnington websela at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 11 22:19:17 UTC 2014

On Mar 11, 2014, at 5:11 PM, Levente Uzonyi <leves at elte.hu> wrote:

> Great progress on the new website. I have a few suggestions. Hope you don't mind.
>
> The ttl of all DNS records should be at most 3600 until the system is considered stable. The current value is 86400 (1 day), so you'll have to wait more than a day till any change takes effect for everyone. We even keep it at a low value (3600-7200) for production systems, because it's really helpful when something goes wrong.

I'll look into that. It's a detail I hadn't thought of. Obvious when you say it, though.

> Some old DNS records were not kept (e.g. box2.squeak.org, bugs.squeak.org, map.squeak.org, ftp.squeak.org , etc). It would be worth restoring these until the services are migrated. For example squeakmap and mantis, or the downloads don't work at the moment.

Hmm, yea. I was afraid of this. It'll get sorted.

> Serving the static files (images, scripts) for the website needs a permanent solution. We want to let the browsers and proxies to cache these, but not the dynamically generated pages. There are many different ways to solve it, each having their pros and cons.
>
> I can help with configuring nginx. Let me know if you need it.

That would be great. I'll start to cross post with the box-team list. OK, it already is.
Tomorrow, I'll start to make a list of things that need fixing. And I'll dig up details to go with the list.
Anything you have to say about how better configure things, I'm happy to hear. That would be of great assistance.

Chris