[Box-Admins] Re: [Board] Disk space is low on box3

Frank Shearar frank.shearar at gmail.com
Mon Nov 3 12:54:20 UTC 2014

On 3 November 2014 01:23, Levente Uzonyi <leves at elte.hu> wrote:
> On Sun, 2 Nov 2014, David T. Lewis wrote:

>> <snip>
>>
>>> Just as an example, if we remove the older entries from
>>> ~jenkins/jobs/SqueakTrunk,
>>> we would free up 1GB from that job alone. But I think that all of the
>>> jobs
>>> require attention.
>>

>> Oops, my arithmetic was off by a zero, it looks more like 9 or 10GB could
>> be
>> freed up here.
>>
>> Frank, I made an off-line backup (tar backup to my home PC) of everything
>> in the ~jenkins/jobs/SqueakTrunk/builds directory from build 177 through
>> build 699. That includes all of the images built from 2013-02-21 through
>> 2013-12-19.
>>
>> Is there value in keeping those build artifacts on line? If not, may I
>> have
>> your permission to delete them, leaving the remaining builds from
>> 2013-12-19
>> through the present on line? I can give you a copy of the backup, or move
>> it
>> to some other location if we want to keep it on line.
>

> I think build information should be kept "forever", because it's nice to see
> progress over time. And I also see some value in keeping not too old build
> artifacts, because it allows me to quickly see what was the situation X
> builds ago.
> After a bit of googling, I found that there's a "Discard Old Builds"
> option[1][2], which can simply delete all build information based on some
> simple rules.
> But there's also a plugin[3] which does exactly what I would like to see.
> One can specify to keep the build information with it, while deleting the
> build artifacts of older builds.
> So I think we (I mean someone who has access to jenkins) should install and
> configure that plugin for the critical projects. These are SqueakTrunk and
> ReleaseSqueakTrunk, which use 17GB of disk space at the moment.

I'll second Levente's comment about keeping build artifacts to
reproduce issues. This is critical in the Trunk process, because we
don't have a linearisable development history. "Update number" means
only "the sum of the version numbers of all installed packages". Not
only that, I don't think there's any way of saying "please update my
Squeak image from 4.5-N to 4.5-M", so we can't recreate the starting
conditions of a build.

I've installed the Discard Old Build plugin. I'll need to restart
Jenkins for the plugin to register.

I'll wait a while before doing that, in case anyone needs to say anything.

frank