[Box-Admins] RE: [squeak-dev] http://build.squeak.org/ down?

Frank Shearar frank.shearar at gmail.com
Fri Oct 17 15:03:43 UTC 2014

On 17 October 2014 03:35, David T. Lewis <lewis at mail.msen.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 16, 2014 at 11:18:22AM +0200, Levente Uzonyi wrote:
>> I guess this belongs more to the box-admins list, so I moved it here.
>> I killed 45 runaway processes, and found that jenkins is down.
>>
>> On Thu, 16 Oct 2014, Frank Shearar wrote:
>>
>> >The VM processes are apt to leak for reasons unknown: Maybe Jenkins can't
>> >track the shell games I have to try play with Squeak. Suggestions for
>> >improvement actively sought.
>>
>> I think it would be worth restarting jenkins, but disabling all but one of
>> these VM-related processes until this is fixed.
>> It would help if you could give us some pointers about what is wrong, and
>> where to start looking around.
>>

> +1
>
> I restarted Jenkins so the build.squeak.org site will be active, but we really
> need to clean this up.
>
> Frank, do you agree with Levente's suggestion to disable projects until the
> issue is resolved?

I'm not in a position to do much about things until week after next:
personal emergency. Do whatever you think is appropriate to mitigate
the problem.

It will probably boil down to an exception causing a debugger, and
since Squeak's command line support is... not adequate, it's
impossible to debug without someone manually running the same process
on a local machine, hacking the build scripts to run headfully. This
has been my experience, at least, whenever we have had this problem.

If someone's sufficiently motivated, they should be able to follow the
instructions at https://github.com/squeak-smalltalk/squeak-ci/ (and
hit me if they're not) and run something like "rake clean build
test_package[Control]" to reproduce the issue. You'll need to edit
lib/squeak-ci/build.rb replacing the vm_args method with this:

def vm_args(os_name)
  [] # Force headful
end

Only bother if you're comfortable with installing a Ruby. Diagnosing
and solving the problem will require more knowledge about process
spawning and subshells than I possess. run_image_with_cmd is almost
certainly the source of the problem:
https://github.com/squeak-smalltalk/squeak-ci/blob/master/lib/squeak-ci/build.rb#L275-330

frank