[Box-Admins] source.squeak.org went down today

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Tue Oct 21 20:54:51 UTC 2014

On Tue, Oct 21, 2014 at 01:27:30PM +0200, Levente Uzonyi wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I tried to update my Squeak image today, and found that source.squeak.org
> is down. On box2 I found that it's using all the cpu. Based on the
> apachelogs it went down 7-8 hours ago.
> I decided to restart it. svc -t didn't kill the image (nor did -k),
> instead it spawned another image, so I stopped svc, killed the process
> manually, and restarted it with svc.
> The image is up now, but I wonder if there's anything else to do when a
> SqueakSource image goes down.

I don't know all the details on the source.squeak.org configuration, but
based on my experience with squeaksource.com on box3, the only real concern
is that recent updates to user accounts and other image resident information
may get lost. The image should be saving itself regularly, and file uploads
are resident on disk and will be recovered. Most likely nothing was lost
at all, although a note to squeak-dev announcing the outage is a good idea.

Whenever we move source.squeak.org to box4 (hopefully soon, if Chris Muller
and I manage to get ourselves motivated), I will try to get better educated
on this before the next outage.

Thank for restarting it,