[Box-Admins] Fwd: [Board] Daily Commit Log has disappeared

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Tue Jan 27 00:47:32 UTC 2015

On Mon, Jan 26, 2015 at 07:44:33PM +0100, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
> I think I did set up a cronjob to generate the daily commit log. The script probably was in my user dir. Did that survive?
>
> - Bert -

Yes your script and the cron job have survived.

According to the cron entry at /srv/box2/var/spool/cron/crontabs/squeaksource,
cron entry was this:

55 23 *   *   *    /home/squeaksource/dailycommits/dailycommits.sh

Your dailycommits.sh script and everything that goes with it is safely
restored in /srv/box2/home/squeaksource/dailycommits/.

I think that the script will run on box4, except that it looks like the
/usr/bin/mail client that we had on box2 does not exist, so possibly it
is necessary to do "apt-get install mailutils".

So to get it running again, I think that the only thing required is to add
a cron job for user squeaksource with the following entry:

55 23 *   *   *    srv/box2/home/squeaksource/dailycommits/dailycommits.sh

That said, it looks like we do not yet actually have a user id "squeaksource"
on box4, and for reasons that I cannot explain, the source.squeak.org home
directory and everything under it are owned by user davidlewis (I did not
do that, honest ;-).

So we probably need to add a proper user for squeaksource (source.squeak.org,
not squeaksource.com), and we should change the file ownerships to match.

But in the near term, since I just happen to coincidentally be a person
named davidlewis, I'll bet that I can reinstall the old dailycommits cron
job under my user id.

I will see if I can install a mail client and cron job to get this working.
Details will be in /root/admin-log.txt.

Dave