[Box-Admins] Fwd: [Board] Daily Commit Log has disappeared

Levente Uzonyi leves at elte.hu
Tue Jan 27 07:31:38 UTC 2015

I haven't checked it yet, but I think cron jobs are not executed in the
chroot environment, or if they are, then it's the lack of the mailer
program which is responsible for the missing daily commit log.

On Mon, 26 Jan 2015, David T. Lewis wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 26, 2015 at 07:44:33PM +0100, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
>> I think I did set up a cronjob to generate the daily commit log. The script probably was in my user dir. Did that survive?
>>
>> - Bert -
>
> Yes your script and the cron job have survived.
>
> According to the cron entry at /srv/box2/var/spool/cron/crontabs/squeaksource,
> cron entry was this:
>
> 55 23 *   *   *    /home/squeaksource/dailycommits/dailycommits.sh
>
> Your dailycommits.sh script and everything that goes with it is safely
> restored in /srv/box2/home/squeaksource/dailycommits/.
>
> I think that the script will run on box4, except that it looks like the
> /usr/bin/mail client that we had on box2 does not exist, so possibly it
> is necessary to do "apt-get install mailutils".
>
> So to get it running again, I think that the only thing required is to add
> a cron job for user squeaksource with the following entry:
>
> 55 23 *   *   *    srv/box2/home/squeaksource/dailycommits/dailycommits.sh

I don't think it's a good idea to trigger a script inside the chrooted
environment from the outside. (It's been a while since I set up and used a
chroot environment (probably in 2008), and since Tobias was kind enough to
do it this time, I haven't brushed up my knowledge.)

> That said, it looks like we do not yet actually have a user id "squeaksource"
> on box4, and for reasons that I cannot explain, the source.squeak.org home
> directory and everything under it are owned by user davidlewis (I did not
> do that, honest ;-).

The ownership information is kept as it was on box2. So what your id on
box4 is is the same as what the id of the squeaksource user was on box2.
Because of this, these files should only be used from the chroot
environment.

> So we probably need to add a proper user for squeaksource (source.squeak.org,
> not squeaksource.com), and we should change the file ownerships to match.

This must not be changed while it's being run inside the chroot
environment. There is a separate user inside, which is being used for
running the service.
If the service is moved out of the chroot environment, then it'll need a
new user on box4.

> But in the near term, since I just happen to coincidentally be a person
> named davidlewis, I'll bet that I can reinstall the old dailycommits cron
> job under my user id.

You shouldn't do that. Mixing the chroot environment and the main
environment is not a good idea.

Levente