[Box-Admins] Box4 restart

Levente Uzonyi leves at elte.hu
Thu Oct 22 17:11:06 UTC 2015

Hi All,

Today box4 was restarted for some unknown reason. Since box2 is still
being run from the chroot environment, its services didn't come up
automatically.
I restarted svscanboot from the chroot with

 	nohup /usr/bin/svscanboot &

but before it could work, I had to create the /dev/null device by running

 	sudo mknod /srv/box2/dev/null c 1 3

from box4. This brought up all services but apache2 and mysql. I started
apache2 manually by running

 	/etc/init.d/apache2 start

But I couldn't start mysql. I suspect that it requires a few more devices,
and maybe the /proc filesystem too, but it's hard to tell without having
syslog.
I have close to zero experience with these kind of things, so I'd like to
ask someone with more exprience (Tobias) to help us out with this.
This means that all services but bugs.squeak.org should be up and running
again.

I think it's good time to reconsider moving the services of box2 to
box4. For example, I remember Chris Muller having a Magma-based
SqueakSource implementation running on box4. Is that ready for production
use?

Levente