[Box-Admins] request support to finish upgrade of source.squeak.org

Chris Muller ma.chris.m at gmail.com
Fri Aug 26 22:22:27 UTC 2016

Hi all, I've committed the code intended to run our source.squeak.org
server to host the repository [http://source.squeak.org/ss], and
invited the community to use it to set up their own Personal
SqueakSource repositories.

Currently, our production [source.squeak.org] repository is hosted by
a stripped "Squeak-3.11-8824" image with lots of notes, workspaces and
dirty packages, running on the interpreter VM in the chroot
environment.  It is not an easy process to extract the SSRepository
domain object out of that image and into something the new 5.1 image
running under Spur.  I did accomplish that, and have the "data.obj"
file ready, but if someone else joins [source.squeak.org] before we
can deploy it, they'd have to rejoin afterward.  Hence, my desire to
get the exported data.obj deployed relatively soonish.

However, I really don't feel comfortable attempting to do it on my own
without at least getting y'all in the loop so that, in case you would
arrive to work to find it down the next morning, you'd know why.  :-/

I've created a deployment .zip file and uploaded it to
box4.squeak.org:/home/chrismuller/webserver.zip.  That zip contains
the new 5.1 image ready to be the server running the latest code from
the "ss" repository, as well as the converted "data.obj" file (the
serialized SSRepository domain object which has all our usernames,
etc.).  Also included are the scripts whose contents are the commands
I would run to do the actual deployment.

The "squeaksource" user under which the server will run is already
created.  I guess there are just two issues I'm still not sure about:

   - the nginx configuration changes needed, if any.
   - the automated emails.  The email address is in the SSRepository
object, but I'm not sure if any special configurations are needed.

Any advice or support toward completing this would be greatly appreciated.

Best,
  Chris