[Box-Admins] Re: request support to finish upgrade of source.squeak.org

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sat Aug 27 02:31:56 UTC 2016

That sounds right to me also. Assuming that we have enough disk space
(I think there is just barely enough on box4), here are a few other
suggestions:

- Keep the current source.squeak.org service running exactly as it is,
with no modifications to the supervise scripts or to anything in the
current directory. This service runs on port 9090, with nginx handling
the connections to the service on 9090.

- Bring up the new source.squeak.org on its own new port number, say
9092 (SqueakMap is using 9091, so don't use that). Set it up completely
in whatever account and home directory we are going to use, and set
up the supervise scripts to start the service. This should be a
production-ready service in every respect, except that it has not
yet been made visible by nginx.

- Run both the old (port 9090) and new (port 9092) services in parallel
for some period of time (maybe a couple of days), until we are
comfortable that it runs reliably, does its image backups on schedule,
and that it will automatically restart following a server reboot.

- While running in parallel mode, we (and everyone on queak-dev)
can help with testing by connecting to the new service on
box4.squeak.org:9092 and making sure that the repositories work
properly.

- Depending on how long we run in parallel mode, it may be necessary
to do a final update of "data.obj" before the final switch over to
the new service.

- When all is working as expected, do the nginx update to switch
http://source.squeak.org to point to the new service on 9092.

- In the event of problems, the rollback plan is to update nginx
to point back to the original service, which will still be running
on port 9090.

- Wait a few days, then shut down the old service on 9090. Take a
good backup, then remove the old repository.

Dave