[Box-Admins] Re: server update

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Wed Aug 31 22:23:31 UTC 2016

>> The RFB server is started upon image start (accepting only local
>> connections).  I like your idea, but it starts to become a cumbersome
>> process if one must 1) forward the port, then 2) send a kill signal,
>> then 3) open their VNC viewer to do the work, THEN 4) remember to do
>> some other step to ensure they stop the RFB server..    Probably, the
>> last step would be forgotten and we're right back to it running 24x7..
>
> What I tried to suggest was to keep it running. I don't use the signal
> trick, because I don't see any problem with letting RFB run.

Ah, good.

>> Our existing repository is currently 17GB worth of mcz's and the Magma
>> copy may need about the same by the bulk-load is done..
>
> We can make a few more GBs. Btw, I thought Magma wouldn't copy the mczs.

It doesn't copy mcz's, but it does open them up to get the MCVersion
object inside, and adds it (along with all of its referenced
MCDefinition objects) directly to a big Collection in the database.
The MCDefinitions are canonicalized, so there is some space savings
there, however, the source code is not compressed like in an MCZ, so
the amount of space it will ultimately require is very hard to
predict.

I'm keeping my eye on it, and since we don't need any of the files in
the /home/squeaksource/webserver/ss.magma/commits directory, a lot of
space is recoverable from there, so I think we'll be fine..

Best.