[Box-Admins] [squeak-dev] Squeaksource.com is down

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Tue Dec 6 03:08:40 UTC 2016

Moving to box-admins for a couple of technical follow ups.

I found that I had forgotten to update the SMTP server in the squeaksource.com
image, which was causing problems with squeaksource.com was trying to send email
notifications. The old setting was still pointing to 'box2.squeak.org', so I
changed it to point to 'localhost', which is what source.squeak.org is using.

So just to check: is 'localhost' the right smtp server for dan.box.squeak.org?

On Mon, Dec 05, 2016 at 05:17:00PM +0100, Levente Uzonyi wrote:
> On Mon, 5 Dec 2016, David T. Lewis wrote:
>
> >Thanks, hopefully just the user interface is scrambled. This happens when
> >a new user registers with a multibyte user name (which happens
> >surprisingly often, I would not have expected a lot of new users).
>
> Yes, that's exactly the case. We should fix that.

My understanding is that this is a problem that has been fixed in either
Squeak or in Seaside, I'm not sure which. In any case, whenever we next move
squeaksource.com to a newer image, it should go away. That is not something
I want to deal with right now, so maybe in January after the holidays? Mean
time I think it is annoying but not really too much of a problem.

> >I am away, returning home 10 hours from now. I'll check into it then if no
> >one else has done so.
>
> I tried to, but the VM wouldn't respond to USR2.

I'm not sure what is wrong with the VNC access via SIGUSR2, but I cannot
get it working right now. I think it might be related to a net name resolver
problem, but I could not figure it out tonight. I fixed the immediate problem
of a WideString user name by downloading the image to fix the image, but VNC
access is still not working.