[Box-Admins] Squeak.org nameserver stuff

Levente Uzonyi leves at caesar.elte.hu
Fri Jan 29 04:22:36 UTC 2016

Hi Tobias,

On Fri, 29 Jan 2016, Tobias Pape wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I ponder using Cloudflare for squeak.org for two reasons:
> a) Faster site (faster download for files, for example, but website,too)

Is it slow? If yes, by what measure?

> b) SSL for free, no hassle.

We could have a free certificate anytime now that letsencrypt is live.

> People have expressed interest in that, and I went forth and

Who?

> created everything necessary at clouflare but one thing:
>
> The master dns server entries have to be changed:
>
> 	a.ns.squeak.org -> austin.ns.cloudflare.com
> 	b.ns.squeak.org -> elsa.ns.cloudflare.com
>
> This has to be changed at the registrar (networksolutions).
> Currently, as per whois, Dan is owner of the site but I
> don't know wether he's the one turing the knobs for
> the domain. If so, we would need him to change those entries,
> if not, we would have to find out whom to talk to.

I think Göran might have access to the DNS records.

> So Iff the board and the admins decide to go for cloudflare we
> need networksolutions to change the DNS-NS.

I kinda dislike cloudflare, because if you use it, you'll give all control
to them. They also tracks your users, even if you don't want them to,
which is also something you are not allowed to do in the EU without the
user's consent. The way I understand the law, every site using cloudflare
breaks it, because they set the tracking cookie before the user could have
a chance to opt-in.

Levente