[Box-Admins] What should we do with jenkins? (was: State of the boxen)

Fabio Niephaus lists at fniephaus.com
Sat Nov 5 21:32:54 UTC 2016

+1 for retiring Jenkins.

I hope I have some time in the next few weeks to finalise and document the
way we did the Squeak 5.1 release. We should then also be able to produce
daily Squeak trunk bundles again.

Fabio

On Sat, 5 Nov 2016 at 03:39, David T. Lewis <lewis at mail.msen.com> wrote:

On Sat, Nov 05, 2016 at 12:18:23AM +0100, Tobias Pape wrote:
> Hi all
>
> so far the main services have been migrated:

Outstanding, thanks!

> [ACTION]:
> 1. What should we do with jenkins? It is a _major_ effort revive it as it
managed to degenerate into limbo (no jobs will run successfully at all)
>    I'd like to see it put to rest.

I agree, put it to rest.

The current state of http://build.squeak.org reflects badly on the Squeak
community.
It does not demonstrate the current state of Squeak VM and image
development. It has
little value as a historical artifact, and few of the failing test jobs
provide any
useful guidance as to what they were originally supposed to have tested.

I would like to have the box3:/var/lib/jenkins flles rsynced over to
rackspace so we
do not lose them. That would preserve the option of bringing up a new
Jenkins server
and restoring the few jobs that may still be of value.

So my opinion: Save the files, but put Jenkins to rest.

Future: I would be happy to see Jenkins brought back in line in the future
if there
is an interest, but I think that we as a community should maintain higher
standard
with respect to things that are publicly displayed on
http://build.squeak.org. These
are things that should work, and if they do not work there should be some
reasonable
documentation as to what they are, who is responsible for them, and why
they are not
working.