[Box-Admins] root cause of squeaksource.com outage

Chris Muller ma.chris.m at gmail.com
Mon Nov 7 01:43:23 UTC 2016

I think I just stumbled onto the root cause of the image growth.  I
had downloaded the new production squeaksource.6.image (copy of the
Oct-5 image) to my laptop to get a "data.obj" file exported.  This
export process runs in the background and takes a long time, so when I
came back to check on it, I found two debuggers with the message "Port
not available."

What's happening is when the image is saved, it gets most of the way
through SmalltalkImage>>snapshot:andQuit:embedded: so that the file is
saved on disk, however, at the end it calls #processStartupList:
whereupon SSRepository class>>#startUp: tells SSKom to start up.
SSKom produces a debugger if you tell it to start when its already
started.

So the debuggers from the prior image save are slowly piling up within
each subsequent image save, a slowly growing until it reached the
limit.

I guess the bug should still be there; I guess I'm puzzled why this
didn't happen on box2..

I think we should work on moving squeaksource to the new image ASAP.