[Box-Admins] Re: [Board] Re: Moving box3 off Gandi hosting

Chris Muller ma.chris.m at gmail.com
Thu Sep 1 01:03:02 UTC 2016

>>> and the new
>>> SqueakSource server(s) will need at least 500MB.  That only leaves
>>> 2.5GB for everything else, as we upgrade more images to Spur, we'll
>>> need more memory, could we get 6GB or 8GB RAM?
>>
>> oO That's pretty much for a free, shared service we're about to get, to be
>> frank.
>
> I agree. Also, I don't think we will ever need that much RAM

When have we heard those famous words before?  ;-)

>  unless a new
> memory hungry app appears.

They are appearing, because we want to upgrade our servers, right?
Servers benefit greatly by Spur's memory management, but we know it
needs more memory for those same objects.  Trying to squeeze that many
spur-based services into 4GB concerns me whether memory hungry apps
will be /able/ to appear.

Like the bulk-load happening now for the source.squeak.org upgrade;
the server is at 1GB RAM at the moment.  This kind of breathing room
makes these things a lot easier, could we still do it in 4GB after
everything was Spur plus an existing Magma server?  Maybe..

I definitely want to respect the dynamics of the Rackspace
relationship (of which I know nothing), so I would not have proposed
6GB if it seemed greedy.  I assume Rackspace genuinely wants to help
Squeak, so if we need it, I see no harm in asking.  If we don't, we
shouldn't.

Best.