[Box-Admins] squeaksource.com is down (EOM)

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Thu Feb 16 14:34:13 UTC 2017

Ugh.

I am away with no system access for the next 8-10 hours. I will fix it at
that time if it's still down then.

Background:

A previous failure, which is very likely recurring, was a problem related
to the image trying to send mail, with failed processes consuming image
memory until things locked up. I changed an smtp parameter in hopes of
correcting it, apparently that did not work or I just misunderstood the
problem.

How I fixed it last time: Zip up the image/changes files and preserve
them. Download to my PC, run on a locally built interpreter VM, which was
able to open the image without running out of memory (as was happening on
the server). Terminate runaway processes and resave image. Copy it back to
the server, then kill the running squeaksource VM to restart things.

If all else fails: Reasonably recent backups are in a ./BACKUPS directory,
so restart using the most recent image from backup. Check file dates and
look in the ./ss/ss.log file to see what may have been lost. Most stuff
just comes back automatically from the file system, but things like user
account changes live in the image.