[Box-Admins] squeaksource.com

Chris Muller ma.chris.m at gmail.com
Fri Mar 31 01:37:13 UTC 2017

Hi Dave,

Yes, because of the format change I used Ma object serializer, because
it is mostly agnostic to the squeak version.  I've attached version of
Ma Object Serializer of that time which can run correctly in that
image.  After loading that SAR, you can export the object with
something like this:

   MaObjectSerializer new fileOut: SSRepository current storage
toFileNamed: 'data.obj.ma' in: FileDirectory default.

Now, you can go into a 5.1 / recent image and use Ma object serializer
to load it.  Unfortunately, there was a minor file-format change since
that 2009 version, so you have to use that same version to load it
initially.  Load the same SAR into the 5.1 image to iniitally load the
object.

  MaObjectSerializer fileIn: '/the/fully/qualified/filename'    "inspect it?"

Now you can finally load Ma Serializer 1.6 from SqueakMap, and export
the object one last time, this time in the "new" Ma format.

  MaObjectSerializer new fileOut: self toFileNamed: 'data.obj' in:
FileDirectory default

It should now be ready to use with the latest code at
source.squeak.org/ss.  You can test with just the data.obj file you
don't need any of the MCZ's.

When the time comes, we should run the new server with just good ol'e
SSFilesystem repository.  No image persistence and no Magma.  The save
time is slow, but it runs in the background and if new commits come in
in the meantime, it'll just save again after the current save is done.
  It keeps the last 35 or so generations of backup obj files.

 - Chris