[Box-Admins] [INFO] squeaksource.com restarted

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Mon May 15 00:33:46 UTC 2017

On Wed, May 03, 2017 at 10:48:31PM -0400, David T. Lewis wrote:
> I noticed a problem on squeaksource.com, with the image size reaching close
> to 1 GB, and very slow web page display. After terminating some stuck processes
> from a process browser, I resaved the image and restarted it on dan.box.squeak.org.
>
> There was no loss of data, although if anyone noticed response time problems or
> other issues in the last few hours, this was likely the cause.
>
> Dave

I applied a patch to the squeaksource.com image that I hope will prevent this
out of memory condition in the future.

Notes are in the dan.box.squeak.org:~squeaksourcecom/README file, and also in
a workspace in the image.

The actual error condtion is a WAEmailErrorPage that fails on attempting to make
a network connection, which generated (you guessed it) another WAEmailErrorPage
to handle the error.

I do not know the cause of the smtp mail failures, but in no case should such
a failure result in a recursive error, so this patch seems to be a reasonable
solution for now.

I cannot really test the change, so if squeaksource.com gets locked up again
a few weeks from now, you will know that it did not work.