[Box-Admins] Squeak Server state of the Union or Hold Your Horses but Not Too Long

Fabio Niephaus lists at fniephaus.com
Fri Oct 6 06:58:40 UTC 2017

Hi all,
Re GCE and AWS: I quickly used their calculators to get some rough
estimates and I got 116$/month for GCE [1] and 197$/month for AWS [2].
In general, GCE is cheaper than AWS. We would be able to scale the machines
up and down, so it's possible that we actually pay a lot less, or a lot
more. I also have no idea about our current data transfer, so that could
also add to the bill. But at this point, it's quite hard to tell how much
we would actually pay without knowing more about our current
setup/resources.
Having said that, both GCE and AWS are probably to "big to fail" compared
to a web hoster from around the corner and the prices are still going down
every year without having to migrate anything.

No matter what hosting solution we choose in the end, I'm happy to help
with the next migration.

Best,
Fabio

[1]