[Box-Admins] Mail delivery from dan.box.squeak.org to mail.squeak.org at 162.242.237.43

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Thu Jan 4 01:52:34 UTC 2018

The squeaksource.com image runs on dan.box.squeak.org, and it occasionally
tries to send SMTP mail to mail.squeak.org, which resolves to 162.242.237.43.
The attempt to connect to the mail server results in a 503 service not available
error.  This in turn results in failures that hang the squeaksource image (but
that is a subject for another discussion). For now, I am trying to understand how
to get mail delivery working.

I need some help to understand the source of the error. Is there something
about our Rackspace server configuration (and network configurations) that
would prevent mail delivery from working when the SMTP client connects from
a Squeak image running on dan.box.squeak.org to the mail server at address
162.242.237.43?

Background: For purposes of debugging, I am VNC connecting to a modified
squeaksource.com image running on dan.box.squeak.org, and I am evaluating the
following snippet to debug the SMTP connection issue:

   fromAddress := 'squeaksource at source.squeakfoundation.org'.
   recipientList := OrderedCollection new add: 'box-admins at lists.squeakfoundation.org'; yourself.
   recipientList := OrderedCollection new add: 'dtlewis290 at gmail.com'; yourself.
   messageText := 'This is a test message from a squeaksource.com test image.'.
   smtpServer := 'mail.squeak.org'.

   SMTPClient
           deliverMailFrom: fromAddress
           to: recipientList
           text: messageText
           usingServer: smtpServer.

The connection failure results in an error response '503 5.5.1 Error: send HELO/EHLO first'.

Help and pointers appreciated.