[Cryptography Team] Team Update

Matthew S. Hamrick mhamrick at cryptonomicon.net
Wed Nov 16 19:38:06 CET 2005

Hey...

Are we working on a general purpose ASN.1 compiler / BER codec or
just enough ASN.1 to parse certs and PKCS blobs?

I might recommend we design an interface for the former but simply
implement the latter. BER / DER encoding can be a little ugly at
times. I've written several "highly-focused" BER / DER decoders in
Java, and can tell you that scope creep is NOT your friend. ("Highly
focused" in this context means specific to the ASN.1 for a particular
application.)

I think someone mentioned Dubuisson's book on ASN.1, the PDF of which
is available for free download. While I believe that Dubuisson's book
is an excellent read, there's more to ASN.1 than BER/DER encoding,
and you might wind up wasting a little bit of time by trying to
implement _everything_. You might want to check out Burt Kaliski's
"Layman's guide to a subset of ASN.1, BER, and DER". Available in
text format at ftp://ftp.rsa.com/pub/pkcs/ascii/layman.asc .

-Cheers!
-Matt H.