[Cryptography Team] ECC and/or NSA Suite B?

Ron Teitelbaum Ron at USMedRec.com
Fri Nov 24 20:17:31 UTC 2006

That's interesting can you provide a link about this information for our
lawyer.  It sure looks like sun is providing more then that:

Q1: What is Sun contributing to OpenSSL?
Sun contributed an implementation of the Elliptic Curve Cryptographic (ECC)
technology which is well integrated into the existing OpenSSL source
infrastructure. This code enables secure TLS/SSL handshakes using the
Elliptic Curve based cipher suites.

Sun's contributions to the OpenSSL project include: - Addition of ECC cipher
suites based on the current IETF internet-draft, which specifies the use of
elliptic curve technology in SSL. - Implementation of the Elliptic Curve
Diffie-Hellman (ECDH) key agreement protocol based on ANSI X9.63. - Addition
of elliptic curve support over binary polynomial fields and the underlying
arithmetic library completing the Elliptic Curve cryptographic library in
OpenSSL.

Q2: Where can the downloadable code be found?
The latest version of the OpenSSL code containing ECC cipher suites can be
found at the OpenSSL website: ftp://ftp.openssl.org/snapshot/ The download
file is named: openssl-SNAP-20020819.tar.gz or later versions.

Q3: What about the standardization of ECC cipher suite?
Sun's implementation is based on the current IETF internet-draft which is
now available in the IETF repository:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-tls-ecc-02.txt

This document describes new key exchange algorithms based on Elliptic Curve
Cryptography (ECC) for the TLS (Transport Layer Security) protocol. In
particular, it specifies the use of Elliptic Curve Diffie-Hellman (ECDH) key
agreement in a TLS handshake and the use of Elliptic Curve Digital Signature
Algorithm (ECDSA) as a new authentication mechanism.

Q4: What license is Sun's ECC code contributed under?
Sun contributed the ECC code to the OpenSSL project to be licensed under the
standard OpenSSL license.

Ron