[Cryptography Team] [ENH] AES

Cerebus cerebus2 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 24 23:07:05 UTC 2006

On 11/24/06, cerebus2 at gmail.com <cerebus2 at gmail.com> wrote:

> It struck me as convenient to have an AES class.  All I did was subclass
> Rijndael and override new with the relevant block size and key size.  I
> have no idea if this is sufficient, but I suppose it's a start.  Now I
> need to figure out how to write tests.

Just to let everyone know, I *really* don't have any idea what I'm doing. :)

Background:  I don't write code in my day job, and it's been many
years since I've seriously coded at all beyond scripting for my own
convenience.  Currently I'm working for an FFRDC supporting a
government PKI, so I've been steeped more in the policy end and riding
herd on vendors (like Cisco, though I don't think I've ever met
Krishna before) for the last 10 years, with a dash of sysadmin and
testing thrown into the mix.

My knowledge of crypto doesn't extend far beyond using the primitives
to construct protocols & systems.  I don't get the math, I may never
get the math, but in the end it may not matter.

My interest in Squeak runs back a bunch of years, but I never did more
than toy with it.  What's changed recently was I got a chance to sit
in on a demonstration by a couple of guys from MIT Lincoln Labs who
are doing interesting things with Boneh/Waters/Gentry broadcast
encryption on a contract.  Their system requires ECC and I thought it
would be interesting to model their prototype, which led me back to
Squeak, which led me to this project.

-- Tim