[Cryptography Team] Hello everyone!

Joshua Gargus schwa at fastmail.us
Sat Nov 25 04:45:08 UTC 2006

On Nov 24, 2006, at 3:05 PM, Ron Teitelbaum wrote:

> Hi Joshua!
>
> Welcome to the team!  What are you squeaksource initials and I'll
> add you to
> the repository.

'jcg'

> It's great to have you here.  Thanks for your changes I'll
> have a look at post them next week.

Thanks.

> Your projects sound really cool; if there is something that we can
> do to
> help please let us know.

And thanks again.

> We are working towards getting the crypto primitives built into the
> base VM.
> Krishna is looking at SHA256 primitive, any chance you would work
> with him
> on it?

I can't promise anything more than discussion before the end of the
year, but I'll be happy to talk to him.  From a quick profile, it is
clear that speeding up ThirtyTwoBitRegister would make a huge
difference. The methods
	- bitShift
	- leftRotateBy:
	- +=
	- bitXor:
	- bitAnd:
	- bitOr:
	- bitInvert
account for about 80% of the computation time.  Another 14% (outside
of the previous 80%) is creating and loading ThirtyTwoBitRegisters.

I see that ThirtyTwoBitRegisters are also used in Rijndael, but I
haven't profiled it to see if they are the current bottleneck on
performance.

> We are also working on CC validation, an ASN.1 framework, a Microsoft
> CryptoAPI interface, OpenPGP, support for OpenSSL, and I'd like to
> integrate
> some software for libCURL.
>
> Have you looked at Cees UDP Tric framework yet?  I'm not sure if it
> will
> help but it might be worth your time to check it out.

Yes, I've had a look at it.  Rob's SSL protocol stack is also
interesting.  I'm not sure if I'll be able to reuse code directly,
but they're both useful.

Best,
Josh