[Cryptography Team] RFC: Consolidating the Cryptography library for a general release

Robert Withers reefedjib at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 21 02:24:19 UTC 2007

This is a request for comment on consolidating the Cryptography
library for a general release.  What I mean by that is consolidating
to a single Monticello package, that would allow users to one-click
load the basic library.  Currently there is an implicit load order
which most users don't know.  We still don't have Configuration
support so that isn't a solution right now.

If this idea is supported, I suggest we look at all the packages and
decide which are "in", then generate the Cryptography package with
these packages loaded.

Those packages that are not included, like Cryptography-SMIME for
instance, should really be renamed to not have the Cryptography-
prefix.  The old versions can be deleted to keep things clean.

Those packages that are selected, and are determined to be complete,
could be deleted as independent packages and we would just rely on
them being in the consolidated package and develop there when
needed.  After this first step is completed, we could reassign the
classes to a more compact categorization.

Below is a list of the packages.  Please vote and if your vote is
yes, what are your package recommendations as described below.

Rob

Packages:
Those with a '*' in front are my suggestions as to which is to be
included in Cryptography.  Those with a '!' in front are my
suggestions as to which should be renamed away from Cryptography-.
Those with a '+++' are candidates for deletion, since they have been
superseded.

* Cryptography-ARC2
* Cryptography-ASN1
* Cryptography-Core
* Cryptography-DES
* Cryptography-DSA
* Cryptography-ElGamal
* Cryptography-MD4
* Cryptography-MD5
* Cryptography-PKCS12
* Cryptography-RC4
* Cryptography-RSA
* Cryptography-RandomAndPrime
* Cryptography-Rijndael
* Cryptography-SHA1
* Cryptography-SHA256
! Cryptography-SMIME
! Cryptography-SSL
* Cryptography-Tests
* Cryptography-X509
+++Fortuna  (this exists in RandomAndPrime)
! Cryptography-MSCerts
+++Cryptography-TLS (this is superseded by SSL)
OpenPGP