[Cryptography Team] RFC: Consolidating the Cryptography library fora general release

Robert Withers reefedjib at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 21 15:30:56 UTC 2007

Hi Ron,

On Apr 20, 2007, at 7:53 PM, Ron Teitelbaum wrote:

> Hi Rob,
>
> Very cool about the SMIME work I'm looking forward to working with it.

I have one last bug to fix for signatures.

> There is some working and useful code in MSCerts and I need to
> review TLS
> for any dependencies.  Also the work that I started which
> integrates SSL
> with Kom is there, I think in the tls package, so as long as we
> don't delete
> them I'm ok with renaming them.  Were you planning on moving SSL
> and SMIME
> into another repository or just renaming them within the Cryptography
> repository?

I was just going to re-categorize them and republish them as SSL and
SMIME, but leave them in this repository.  I have already done this
locally for SMIME, but I am waiting for the go ahead on the
consolidation.

> We originally separated them out so that someone could select which
> components they needed.

I thought it was done to assist with concurrent development, but most
of it is stable now.

> I agree with you that this introduced some load
> dependencies.  Also the size of the classes themselves is not large
> enough
> to really warrant their own packages.  We probably introduced more
> problems
> and confusion then we solved.  So I agree with your suggestion and
> would
> support having one cryptography package with all the component
> algorithms,
> and then separate packages for applications.  I should also move my
> KeyHolder and my PasswordSaltAndStretch somewhere.  I'm not sure
> they are
> components but they are not really applications either.  Suggestions?

I think something in RC2 or something uses KeyHolder, et al.   Let's
leave them in.

So you agree with my package allocation?

Rob