[Cryptography Team] RFC: Consolidating the Cryptography library for a general release

Robert Withers reefedjib at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 21 18:01:22 UTC 2007

On Apr 21, 2007, at 10:26 AM, Philippe Marschall wrote:

> 2007/4/21, Robert Withers <reefedjib at yahoo.com>:
>> Hi Philippe,
>>
>> I hadn't realized that Configurations had been fixed in 3.9.  They
>> were broken badly in 3.8.
>
> They don't work out of the box in 3.9, you're right about that. I
> don't know what the situation on 3.8.1 is.

I'm sorry but I don't think it is suitable to deploy Cryptography
using a mechanism that does not work out of the box.  It has been two
cycles (3.8 and 3.9) where this problem has existed without being
repaired.  We are trying to arrive at a solution to allow users to
load Cryptography out of the box, so they can start using
applications that are built on top of Cryptography, like SMIME and
SSL.  I think consolidating the library makes perfect sense, and if
someone needs a slimmed down version we can create one for them.  I'm
sorry if a little frustration is coming through, but Monticello is a
fantastic product that I use everyday, but we have tried to notify
people of the problem with Configurations and nothing was done.  I
would love to use it if it worked out of the box in 3.9.  Maybe a fix
could be added to 3.10.

>> This would certainly be a solution to load
>> the various Crypto packages, and it would have the advantage of
>> allowing people to load a smaller subset for constrained devices.
>> I'll take you up on you offer to build a Configuration file for us.
>> Is it possible to nest one configuration inside of another?
>
> No.

Bummer.

>> If I
>> build a SSL configuration, I would want to load the Cryptography
>> configuration with it.  O is this what Universes will deliver to us.
>> Slightly confused.
>
> Universes supports dependencies afaik.

Maybe this is now the solution, to add all packages to a Universe.  I
wonder if Universes can be nested.

>> Here is my in-order list of packages for the Cryptography
>> Configuration:
>>
>> Cryptography-Core
>> Cryptography-ARC2
>> Cryptography-RC4
>> Cryptography-MD4
>> Cryptography-MD5
>> Cryptography-SHA1
>> Cryptography-SHA256
>> Cryptography-DES
>> Cryptography-DSA
>> Cryptography-RSA
>> Cryptography-ElGamal
>> Cryptography-Rijndael
>> Cryptography-RandomAndPrime
>> Cryptography-ASN1
>> Cryptography-X509
>> Cryptography-PKCS12
>> Cryptography-Tests
>
> http://mc.lukas-renggli.ch/spielverderber/Cryptography-pmm.1.mcm
> (I don't have the commit right for the cryptography project on SqS)

I tried but I couldn't load it.  Where is the patch for Configurations?

thanks and cheers,
Rob