[Cryptography Team] RFC: Consolidating the Cryptography library for a general release

Philippe Marschall philippe.marschall at gmail.com
Sun Apr 22 07:48:45 UTC 2007

2007/4/21, Robert Withers <reefedjib at yahoo.com>:

> On Apr 21, 2007, at 10:26 AM, Philippe Marschall wrote:
>
> > 2007/4/21, Robert Withers <reefedjib at yahoo.com>:
> >> Hi Philippe,
> >>
> >> I hadn't realized that Configurations had been fixed in 3.9.  They
> >> were broken badly in 3.8.
> >
> > They don't work out of the box in 3.9, you're right about that. I
> > don't know what the situation on 3.8.1 is.
>
> I'm sorry but I don't think it is suitable to deploy Cryptography
> using a mechanism that does not work out of the box.  It has been two
> cycles (3.8 and 3.9) where this problem has existed without being
> repaired.  We are trying to arrive at a solution to allow users to
> load Cryptography out of the box, so they can start using
> applications that are built on top of Cryptography, like SMIME and
> SSL.  I think consolidating the library makes perfect sense, and if
> someone needs a slimmed down version we can create one for them.  I'm
> sorry if a little frustration is coming through, but Monticello is a
> fantastic product that I use everyday, but we have tried to notify
> people of the problem with Configurations and nothing was done.  I
> would love to use it if it worked out of the box in 3.9.  Maybe a fix
> could be added to 3.10.

You don't need to tell me, I'm neither maintainer of Monticello (yes
Monticello has a maintainer) or Monticello Configurations neither am I
in the release team. I'm just submitting patches.

> >> This would certainly be a solution to load
> >> the various Crypto packages, and it would have the advantage of
> >> allowing people to load a smaller subset for constrained devices.
> >> I'll take you up on you offer to build a Configuration file for us.
> >> Is it possible to nest one configuration inside of another?
> >
> > No.
>
> Bummer.
>

> >> If I
> >> build a SSL configuration, I would want to load the Cryptography
> >> configuration with it.  O is this what Universes will deliver to us.
> >> Slightly confused.
> >
> > Universes supports dependencies afaik.
>
> Maybe this is now the solution, to add all packages to a Universe.  I
> wonder if Universes can be nested.

I don't know enough about Universes.

> >> Here is my in-order list of packages for the Cryptography
> >> Configuration:
> >>
> >> Cryptography-Core
> >> Cryptography-ARC2
> >> Cryptography-RC4
> >> Cryptography-MD4
> >> Cryptography-MD5
> >> Cryptography-SHA1
> >> Cryptography-SHA256
> >> Cryptography-DES
> >> Cryptography-DSA
> >> Cryptography-RSA
> >> Cryptography-ElGamal
> >> Cryptography-Rijndael
> >> Cryptography-RandomAndPrime
> >> Cryptography-ASN1
> >> Cryptography-X509
> >> Cryptography-PKCS12
> >> Cryptography-Tests
> >
> > http://mc.lukas-renggli.ch/spielverderber/Cryptography-pmm.1.mcm
> > (I don't have the commit right for the cryptography project on SqS)
>
> I tried but I couldn't load it.  Where is the patch for Configurations?

The main problem is actually not Configurations but Monticello. There
are about three (maybe now four versions from which you can pick:

http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=5217
http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=4991
http://www.squeaksource.com/Trike.html

For 3.8 you might want to the one from the Impara repository:
http://source.impara.de/mc

Cheers
Philippe