[Cryptography Team] Re: potential to include cryptography in base image

Robert Withers robert.w.withers at gmail.com
Tue Dec 15 10:44:20 UTC 2015

Thank you, Sven, giving me the opportunity to scope the right mailing
lists into the discussion.

I love that Pharo is oriented towards business. My particular excitement
is to see all the scientific computing. These recent threads on
expanding capacity and targeting marketing are good. I think
Cryptography in the base, including SecureSession, adds to that effort.

The Cryptography package, both for squeak and the Cryptography-Pharo
package, and in the Cryptography repository
(http://www.squeaksource.com/Cryptography. Through the Monticello
Browser this is a loadable item. The loading of SecureSession, which is
loadable by both squeak and pharo, ois a separate load. I appreciate
that pharo has established a different mechanism for loading.

At this time, I am deep into fixing ReedSolomon FEC code, so I must be
conservative (which I am) and defer learning and including Cryptography
in that mechanism. I must be careful what promises I make and I cannot
make a commitment here.  If you are interested in seeing this in pharo's
catalog, then the Cryptography team welcomes new members, especially
from new environments. Welcome. We appreciate all the work that you do!

Again, I appreciate the opportunity to engage the community in
discussion around the definition and example of a minimal modular image
that includes Cryptography & SecureSession in the base.

NB: I think that business computing and scientific computing does not
equal mobile devices, necessarily. I have long made the case, with
varying degrees of effectiveness, that squeak belongs on the server. A
SecureSession & Cryptography capability in the base, minimal, headless
image is desired: the first question in the OP.

Therefore, the correct target of growth is not mobile, it is BigData!

--
. .. .. ^,^ best, robert