[Cryptography Team] [Vm-dev] Smalltalk code calling SHA2Plugin

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Mon Jul 13 23:52:45 UTC 2020

Hi Robert, hi Levente,

I would like to utilize the latest crypto in my next project, would
you help me with the current proper way to configure my image, and my
vm with plugins?

(image)
In going back through some recent messages on the mailing lists and
instructions on squeaksource.com, I came across these incantations as
current ways to load the image code:

  1) Installer ss
     project: 'Registers';
     install: 'Registers';
     project: 'Hasher';
     install: 'HAHasher-Core';
     install: 'HAHasher-Tests'.

  2) Installer ss
        project: 'Registers';
        install: 'Registers';
        project: 'Hasher';
        install: 'HAHasher'.

  3) Installer ss project: 'Cryptography'; install: 'ProCrypto-1-1-1'.

I like these one-click-for-everything scripts for crypto -- it
satisfies the good use-case of development and education, and also
knowing all what's available to Squeak in one glance.  My app's build
script can cherry pick what it needs, but any advice on which starting
point above or otherwise is appreciated.

(vm)
I put the  SHA2Plugin.so from Roberts dropbox in the lib directory,
and it shows up as a "Loaded VM Module" in About Squeak.  But, three
of the "WithPluginTest"'s are failing.  My OS is linux_x64.  I don't
know how to build Squeak or plugins from sources, but including it in
the standard precompiled vm would be so pertinent for Squeak today,
IMO.  SHA256 is one of the ones I'm going to need, so would be nice to
have it work via plugin.  I assume it's a lot faster?

Thanks,
  Chris