[Elections] 5-item list for initial membership

Lex Spoon lex at lexspoon.org
Tue Dec 27 16:56:28 CET 2005

I propose here some tweaks to the list I posted earlier, in response to
comments that have been made and to having thought on it some more.

First, the email-list posting route would require 3 posts, not just 1,
and posts to any world-wide Squeak list would count.  In particular,
squeakland's list would count.  Also, I agree with Daniel that Squeak
Source should count as a vehicle for posting 1000 lines of code.  So the
new list would be:

	1  posted code to a Squeak bug tracker
	2  posted 3 times to squeak lists, including squeak-dev and squeakland
	3  made 1000 lines of Squeak code publically available,
	   including [ENH]'s, SqueakMap, and Package Universes, and
SqueakSource
	4  assembled an original etoy with at least 3 lines of script in it
	5  published a paper based on Squeak
	6  gave a talk to 5+ people based on Squeak

I believe that making an etoy should not be considered hacking one's
mebership.  Anyone who cares to learn how the tiling system works and
then posts something is a real Squeaker, doesn't it seem?  I've added
the word "original" to the list now, to prevent people from copying.
Also, maybe we should require that, for all of these items, only *past*
works count?  This is for the initial membership, you know....

Second, after processing the above list, there could be a followup round
where existing members can add new members.  We could say it requires 2
"signatures" to include a new member in this way.  The goal is that, so
long as the 5-item list includes at least 2 people from any segment of
the Squeak community, that segment can pull the rest of the segment in.
This would be a one-time event, just to get started.  It seems good to
err, for this initial list, towards having too many people rather than
too few.

Finally, all these membership computations should be recorded publically
somewhere on squeak.org.  If someone does something fishy, there should
be a record of it.  Just picture it -- wouldn't it be a little weird for
some Election Team to pop up and say "okay, here's who's in and who's
out" without any explanation?

Thoughts?

-Lex