[Elections] Who votes? how does voting work?

Daniel Vainsencher daniel.vainsencher at gmail.com
Sun Jan 1 01:18:46 CET 2006

I dont expect the SqP mechanism to add human contact to the process - it
is merely a way of expressing the personal contact and evaluation that
is already happening. As to initial membership, I'm proposing we use the
current status as the starting point.

This is my proposal. It has the following advantages in my opinion - it
is already implemented, it is already much more transparent than most
systems (you know who's for you), and its implementation is an
algorithm, so that its properties can be explored effectively for bugs,
and transparency can be increased by mere implementation work.

Lex, if you think we should use some other system based on the list of
criteria discussed, please explain how you would implement it in detail.
  It would also be nice if you can give some sort of glimpse into who
that system lets in, like we can get by peeking at the SqP site.

Anyway, here is my initial requirements list for a voting system.
Functionality:
1. Allows a master to propose a topic on the website. A mail is sent to
some every Squeaker that hasn't opted out. The topic proposer can also
edit or remove the proposal.
2. Allows any Journeyman to propose an alternative course of action for
this topic, and edit or remove it. An "ignore this topic" course of
action is there by default.
3. Topic proposer gets to set a vote date. At this point another mail is
sent to voting members that didn't opt out.
4. Journeymen can vote until said date, and gets confirmation mail
whenever his vote changes.
5. Numeric results of Condorcet votes are published on the website as
per Debian standards.
Non-functional requirements:
A. Easy backup.
B. Topics, proposals, and votes are in files readable by text editor.
Initially, we favor debuggability, and therefore reject privacy
requirements.