[Elections] Re: Who votes? how does voting work?

Lex Spoon lex at lexspoon.org
Tue Jan 3 00:02:47 CET 2006

"Peter Crowther" <Peter at ozzard.org> wrote:
> OK, so how about adding 'referenda' as a new kind of thing on which
> opinions can be registered, giving people the option to validate their
> email address, and calling that system our 'version 1' voting system?
> Yes, I accept that we still have to construct our initial set of voters;
> but I suspect that is going to be the case with any system, and I note
> that it is conceptually independent of any existing ranking system on
> SqP.

That sounds like a great way to run votes if the manpower is available
to make it happen.  I would actually feel comfortable using a wiki page
(with history logged) to get started, but running votes on Squeak
People, using SqP accounts, sounds even better.

In the long run, it would seem even nicer to use public key
cryptography.  That would allow other services to use aunthetication
without requiring Squeak People to support the feature itself.  But
that's a long term idea, at least 6 months off, probably more like a
year.

Peter's detailed analysis and suggestions from the email seem great to
me....

I'll toss out that it would also be dandy to record membership and
application archives on Squeak People, regardless of the specific
membership system we choose.  Again, a wiki page would be enough, but a
few choice web services could make it all work really smoothly.

-Lex