[Elections] Re: A concrete proposal for registering votersandconducting the elections

Peter Crowther Peter at ozzard.org
Sat Jan 14 11:51:16 CET 2006

> From: [...] Masashi UMEZAWA
> I also think the proposed system is good in a short-term basis, but it
> would be harder to maintain the voters' list if votings occur many
> times.

I agree entirely.  The reason I'm suggesting a system that is as easy as
possible to develop (in the simplest case, we write no code) is that
we're bootstrapping here:

- We don't know whether the voting system we have chosen (Condorcet) is
appropriate;

- We don't know whether the construction of our set of voters is
appropriate;

- We don't know whether the nomination system for our candidates is
appropriate;

- We don't know whether a system that is appropriate for electing guides
is also appropriate for making other community decisions;

- We don't know whether anyone will actually vote.

Until we have some indications on a few of these points, it seems to be
a risk to spend scarce development time coding mechanisms that may be
replaced after this election.

> Ideally, voters' list should be automatically created, importing SqP,
> Squeak-Ja, and other community lists.

Assuming we continue with that mechanism for constructing our set of
voters, I agree with you.  However, I'm not yet sufficiently convinced
we'll keep the mechanism to want to invest the time in doing this.

		- Peter