[Elections] Stepping down (and stepping up)

goran at krampe.se goran at krampe.se
Wed Mar 1 22:04:36 UTC 2006

"Peter Crowther" <Peter at ozzard.org> wrote:
> > From: goran at krampe.se
> > but do recall that the current Team
> > model says that the assignment of team leaders is formally done by the
> > board: http://www.squeak.org/Community/Teams/
>
> Yes.  I think that is a very effective mechanism in general.  However,
> the elections team *may* (or may not) be special.  Let me outline my
> thinking, and see what you think.

I agree, it may be special. Just wanted to remind of the *current*
model.

> At present, the Board can remove any member from any team

No. The board can't "remove any member from any team". At least not that
I am aware. :)

> and can assign team leaders - and are sometimes willing to use that power unilaterally,

Not "can assign" - it is the board that *does assign*. After someone
being willing to be a team leader that is, etc.

> as Ken has recently demonstrated.  There is no limit to the Board's
> power within the team system, and it is solely accountable to the wider
> community at some appropriate interval.

Mmmm, I don't agree. The team model explicitly says that the Team leader
"is King" of the team.

> We (the community and the board, as the elections team has no standing
> at present) may wish matters to stay like that, or we may wish to put
> some checks and balances in place - for example, by separating out a
> group of people to devise a constitution and/or revise the voting
> process in the light of feedback.  If that group is separated, we should
> think about matters such as separation of powers.  We may want to
> construct some similar system.  If this is the group that is presently
> the elections team, we may wish to make it independent of some of the
> normal team machanisms.
>
> 		- Peter

Yes, I agree - the election team may be special. I just haven't thought
enough about it.

regards, Göran