[Elections] Stepping down (and stepping up)

Daniel Vainsencher danielv at tx.technion.ac.il
Tue Mar 7 22:54:59 UTC 2006

Begin qoute:
********
I think the first thing we should do as an election team is preserve the
procedure, discuss and fix up the weak points, and set our timers for
next year.

As to other goals for this team, I think these first elections are one
step by the community to working on its commons as such. What other
steps would be useful? How can we help in this team? I'd like to hear
any ideas...
****************

So on the first item, I think one way to enliven the elections and make
them feel less rushed, is to bring it up often over a longer period of
time. The other is to contact the nominated candidates and somehow guide
them to take an active part. How about the following (this is all from
the Debian method):
1. Announce a forth coming election a month and a half in advance. Call
for general discussion on what went well this year, what people want
next year. Send announcement to all relevant lists and channels.
2. After 1 week: call for nominations. Create a wiki page (more update
options than a sqf article) where people can add themselves. It should
have a template for platforms (who I am, some things I've done which are
relevant, what I want to do...)
3. After another 2 weeks: Declare platforms closed, solicit questions
for the candidates from everyone. Start getting the voter lists ready.
4. After another 2 weeks start voting period (voter lists should be ready).
5. After a week, close voting period.

Other goals I propose for this team:
1. Should teams be elected or appointed? discuss, and if we come to a
definite conclusion, bring it to board and squeak-dev.
2. What other structure should the voters share? for a concrete example:
what is the forum for all voters? squeak-dev is high volume technical.
We should have some other method for board and teams to announce stuff
to (more or less) all voters.
3. Actually run next years elections.
4. Are there decisions that should be voted on? for example, contents of
development image. If so, how should those work?

And any other ideas welcome, of course...

Daniel