EToys for Sound Manipulation Re: [Etoys] Squeak / Etoys RPMs

Markus Gaelli gaelli at emergent.de
Sat Oct 7 10:16:24 EDT 2006

Hi folks,

> And with a little more things, I could play and record sound in etoys.

Good to hear... :-)

Btw. I played a bit more with sound/csound and etoys and came up with
a new category "sound" where on can select the frequency and also
"when" a sound should be played.
I foresee csound to be pluggable there (currently it is kind of hard
wired)  so that one could choose between default Squeak Synth and
csound Synth. I am aware of SoundSystem.

For that we needed to extend the sound capabilities of Squeak a bit
so that sampled instruments can also be played in any frequency after
a given delay.
I played a bit with

	(Delay forSeconds: self playWhen) wait,
	self pling.

but still got quite irregular sounds. It is quite nice of csound that
the sounds can be played very accurately at a given time.

I'd also like to integrate "pitch" and "tuning system" (a.k.
chromatic 12 tone system equal temperament, maybe also C-Dur etc. and
more non western tunings).

It is already quite a lot of fun to animate several cars/ etc. and
let them play some sounds with frequencies according to their y-
position, possibly played with a delay according to their y-position.

See the following pic as a little teaser (it works nicely, also with
several cars in parallel):