[Etoys] Translations

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Tue Jul 10 16:46:55 EDT 2007

There are two initial steps that could be pursued independently. On
is gathering translatable strings from the image into .pot files, the
other would be to write a parser for .mo files. The first requires
knowledge of  Smalltalk parsing, the second familiarity with gettext.
So I'd suggest starting with the second.

Yet another step would be to re-implement #translated to take into
account the location of the sender. This could be performance-
critical, as "thisContext sender" gets you only the compiled method
but not the class or selector of the method. Probably the translator
should have a cache keyed by compiled method and string, but the
details might be tricky.

And work on making the language switching faster by not simply re-
building everything would certainly be useful, too.

- Bert -