[Etoys] Projects and Journal

Michael Rueger m.rueger at acm.org
Wed Jul 25 16:22:34 EDT 2007

Yoshiki Ohshima wrote:
>   For the record, I did put two alternative in my email.  However,
> item 13 should have been named 1', and 14 should have benn named 2'
> ^^;
>
>   Plopp is based on the ever-keep-going model, as far as I can tell.
> It works. But, how much of it translates to the multiple documents
> environment.

>>>   13. Alternatively, we cut all these complications, and the user
>>>       always stay in the "Current Etoys" activity.  It is checkpointed
>>>       upon pretty much every time the user is leaving Etoys.  Can it
>>>       be that loading a project from file just loads it into the
>>>       currently running image (without trapped by Bitfrost) here?
>>>
>>>   14. Oh, but, when the user asks to save, the user gives a name and
>>>       create a new version of the activity.  But, "Current Etoys"
>>>       activity is different from that activity, so you cannot write
>>>       into it?

The main goal in Plopp (actually inspired by the Exobox implementation)
was to never let the user know there even is a filesystem.
So no naming, no explicit save let alone save as (that would imply using
names). Blanking a project (throw away everything) would be the
equivalent of save as aka start new.
In Plopp we still have the notion of storage and versions though. For
etoys that might translate in something like a project gallery that you
can browse through (maybe comparable to the scene library in Plopp).

Michael
P.S. For those not familiar with Plopp take a look at
http://planet-plopp.com