[Etoys] How to distribute amd install MO for Apps

Karl karl.ramberg at comhem.se
Tue Nov 20 07:36:12 EST 2007

Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> compiled methods can be included in a segment. The problem is that
> after loading the segment, references ("outpointers") have to be
> fixed up - for example, all symbols must be made to point to the
> symbol instance in the image, otherwise you would have duplicate
> symbols. And we accumulated a lot of cruft over the years that is
> performed on project load time - fixing up fonts, migrating instances
> to new class layout etc. Working this out would be very valuable.
I have looked into this a little.
There is a framework for creating conversion methods in the image but it
is broken.

To test make a new project, add a new morpic class, open the morph in
the project and publish.
Restart Squeak and load the project. You will be prompted to type in a
new class name, a debugger pops up, and a Inspector.
Once you get past that you will see the project view on the desktop but
you will also enter the emergency debugger :-(

I hope once the issues are fixed we can just file out the conversion
files and include them in the projects instead of the whole
change sets and projects will load faster.
Conversion methods can also be in the image.

Karl