[Etoys] Hyperlinked projects

Luke Gorrie luke at member.fsf.org
Sun Nov 25 08:59:14 EST 2007

Howdy!

I'd like some tips on how to develop a collection of linked Squeak
projects, much like the standard ones distributed with the XO image.

Here're my imagined "use cases":

* Create a new Squeak project, name it, save it into a common
repository (directory, svn, ...)

* Open an existing project, change it, save it back to the repository
with exactly the same name (but a new revision in a local folder e.g.
Squeaklets).

* Drag'n'drop project X into project Y (I'll see a thumbnail of X as a
ProjectViewMorph) and then save project Y. Later open a fresh image,
load project Y, click on the thumbnail -- successfully have project X
loaded from disk (preferably looking in a location relative to the
parent project Y or the image).

Overall I'd like to have a directory structure something like:

Activities/
  MainMenu.pr
  Math/
    MathMenu.pr
    Adding.pr
    Subtracting.pr
  English/
    EnglishMenu.pr
    Vocabulary.pr
    Pronunciation.pr

Does this sound reasonable? Can someone please spell out in painful
detail how it's done?

I'm trying to assemble a bunch of projects into a consistent menu tree
-- basically to rebuild our old E-paati from a collection of separate
project files instead of loading all the projects into the image.

I've spent most of the weekend studying, hacking, unhacking,
rehacking, unhacking, etc
Project/ProjectViewMorph/DiskProxy/ProjectLoading and I'm not ashamed
to say that I need help. :-)

Cheers!
-Luke