[Etoys] Proposal on how to use Pootle for etoys

Takashi Yamamiya tak at metatoys.org
Fri Nov 30 13:38:33 EST 2007

Bert Freudenberg wrote:
> On Nov 30, 2007, at 12:33 , korakurider wrote:
>
>> Hi all.
>>
>> As we have some enthusiastic community folks to contribute
>> translations to Pootle where we call as test many times
>> :-), I want to make it to production real soon.  So I
>> wrote down a proposal attached.
>>
>> As this contains too many "up to etoys team", I would like
>> to hear from you before sending to list for wider
>> audience...
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>
> I would take out tinlizzie - both our master git and svn repositories
> are at laptop.org. tinlizzie is only for internal use and backup.
>
> We can make pootle check into git directly, creating whatever directory
> it wants. The "real" po would be created in svn, as we currently do. E.g.:
>
> git:    etoys/pootle/ja.po
> svn:    etoys/Content/lang/ja.po

Looks good.

>> In other project of OLPC, community can directly commit to git from Pootle.
>> Why should we split repository?
>> Because version and quality management will be easier; community can work easily.

I wonder if "quality management" actually works because we don't understand
all language. But it is worth to try.

>> Pootle's file name / hierarchy is different from what we choose for etoys svn
>> For instance:
>> Pootle: Japanese/ Update1-core / chat-activity.po.
>> etoys svn: po/etoys/ja.po
>> lang/ja/.../etoys.mo
>> So we need to fill the gap.

I think the simplest way is to use Pootle's file structure. But I would write
a shell script to adapt file names at first. I doubt if we will
change the translation scheme in near future again ;) I'll test whole thing
after my current task, maybe this weekend.

Cheers,
- Takashi