[Etoys] Accents in Etoys fonts

Juliano Bittencourt juliano at lec.ufrgs.br
Sun Sep 9 11:20:13 EDT 2007

    Hi folks,

    In the XO trial in Porto Alegre, we are starting a systematic use of
eToys with the students. In this moment we are working with children
from the 3th and 4th grades, but very soon we will start with older
students.
    We are experiencing several problems, from the noisy touchpad to the
machine performance (children have B2-7 with 128mb of RAM), what makes
the use of etoys sometimes very slow. But since these are problems
specific of this version of the laptop prototype, we hope they will be
solved in the near future when final version of the machine become
available.
    But now, there is a eToys related issue that sometimes makes the
children very frustrated that is the absence of accents in the text
object. Portuguese is a language that makes heavily use of accents, and
children don't understands why is impossible to create words without them.
    So, why eToys don't accepts? Is that a font related issue or a
squeak bug?

    Best,

    Juliano